While preventing COVID-19 has been a key focus for the ChildFund team in Batticaloa, there is still plenty happening there in our focus areas of health, education, water, sanitation, livelihoods and child protection to help children in need to thrive.
Here is a snap shot of how you are giving back and helping children less fortunate through your child sponsorship.
- 200 households with preschool aged children received monitoring visits from a trained lead mother to record child growth and development, along with checking on their nutrition and the home environment factors like hygiene and safety.
- 25 new lead mother groups established across 10 villages (10 to 12 members in each group) with bi-monthly meetings and training sessions held. ChildFund e-platforms are assisting lead mothers in continuing work despite the COVID-19 restrictions.
- 160 preschool children received play and educational materials for home-based learning.
- 1,999 school-aged children received education materials including work sheets and paper books.
- 85 children wnow have a safer and more stimulating environment to learn in due to renovations carried out at two early childhood development centres.
- 1,110 students at 27 schools enrolled in the ATLAS learning programme have been observed as being actively engaged in key subjects including maths and language.
- 120 children accessed educational and recreational activities at five learnng centres.
- 138 students participated at two career planning sessions and developed their own career plan.
- Nine youth trained in fabric design.
- 225 young people participated in a Government youth activity at Sri Lanka's Parliament.
- 500 parent activity books were printed in preparation for the Responsive Parenting Program .
ChildFund New Zealand works in Batticaloa through local partners. With your support, we can help Batticaloa reach its goal of self-sufficiency in providing the basics to its children through better access to safe water, sanitation, education, healthcare and child protection, along with more livelihood opportunities for their families.
If you would like to join us in reaching this goal with the community in Batticaloa and in doing your bit to help children in need, please become a monthly supporter through child sponsor or Child Essentials today.
Thank you on behalf of the children you are helping.