ChildFund supporters have made Mums in Batticaloa smile! They have also given children in Batticaloa access to clean, safe water and sanitation.
In 2020, despite the challenges the year brought to us all, a group of ChildFund New Zealand supporters generously gave to help Mums and their children access safe, clean water and sanitation in Batticaloa.
These wonderful supporters also made many Mums in Batticaloa smile, with the caring words and encouragement, they wrote in the Mother's Day cards that were returned with donations.
Their support has helped to make possible the following:
- 943 students and 47 teachers now have access to safe sanitation (across these four schools Mandapathy GTMS, Kurinchamunai GTMS, Navatkadu Namahal Vidyalayam and Nnavatkadu Namahal Kanishta Vidyalayam).
- Three further schools in Batticaloa have had their sanitation facilities upgraded with another 25 refurbishments planned. The three schools are Navatkadu Kanishta Vidyalayam, Navatkadu Namahal Maha Vidyalayam and Kurinchamunai GTMS.
- 491 students who attend six learning centres will have access to new water and sanitation facilities. Two have been completed, in Vilavedduva and Thandiyadi.
- 58 teachers participated in a 3 day virtual workshop on Child Hygiene and Sanitation Trainings (CHAST).
- 250 volunteers have mobilized with the support of the Ministry of Health in Sri Lanka. They have visited households, reaching 10,000 people, spreading awareness about the importance of hygiene and also distributing helpful materials. Messages have also been shared through social media and it all has created a huge positive impact in helping the community in the face of COVID-19.
26 community members have come together and formed a group that will promote good health and hygiene practices in the community.
Learn more about our work in water and sanitation here
Learn more about our work in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka here.