Batticaloa, Sri Lanka Community Update
With the current economic and political situation in Sri Lanka extremely worrying, our hearts go out to people living there. Now, more than ever, children, families and communities in Batticaloa need our help but here's a little good news.
ChildFund has sent $100,000 in recent months to help children and families access emergency food. Much more is needed.
Through your ongoing, generous support we know that creating an impact for children, youth, and families in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka means a lot to you. Here is the latest sponsorship update from Batticaloa.
- 111 children benefitted from health projects
- 1,390 people supported with nutrition and home skills
- 751 teachers and volunteers trained in education
- 59 preschool children supported in education
- 1,764 primary school children supported in education
- 1,049 youth supported in skills and employment
- 20 people supported through building construction or materials
- 767 people supported in water, sanitation and hygiene
- 2 people trained in child protection
- 1 child protection committee set up/meetings
- 25 people supported in livelihood opportunities
*The above results are for the six months to 31 December 2021.
ChildFund's ongoing work in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka
ChildFund New Zealand has been working with communities in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka to take children out of poverty for over 15 years.
Education, health, water/sanitation, family livelihoods and child protection are our key focus areas. The aim is that the community becomes self-sufficient in providing the basics children need to thrive, and so we (with support) can move on to help another community.
ChildFund New Zealand works in Batticaloa through our local partner AU Lanka. With your support, we can help Batticaloa reach its goal of self-sufficiency in providing the basics to its children through better access to safe water, sanitation, education, healthcare and child protection, along with more livelihood opportunities for their families.
If you would like to join us in reaching this goal with the community in Batticaloa, please become a monthly supporter through Community Sponsorship today. You can select Sri Lanka on the community dropdown menu.
Read more of our stories about Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka in Economic Crisis, how Kiwis can help
ChildFund's "game changing" move will see communities reach self-sufficiency quicker
Leave a comment